NICAS (National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme) Level 2
The National Indoor Climbing Award Scheme (NICAS) is a UK wide scheme designed to promote climbing development and accredit individual achievement on artificial climbing structures.
It can be used as a starting point for people wishing to take up climbing and mountaineering. It is open to young climbers aged 7 and upwards.
NICAS Level 2 builds on the Level 1 skills and this level is a key stage in a climber’s development.
It is designed to correspond to most climbing centres’ membership standards. A Level 2 holder should be a potentially independent top rope climber.
Level 2 have mastered the basics of climbing on an artificial climbing structure and should be able to climb and boulder safely and, if appropriate, independently.
Many candidates may wish to purchase their own harness, belay device and rock shoes during or after this level and coaches need to equip them with the necessary knowledge to do this.
There are 8 sessions and an assessment at the end to obtain the NICAS Level 2 certificate.
The duration for each session is 1.5 hours
The cost for a space on any of the 8 week courses is AED1,200
NICAS books are required for this course and these are purchased at reception, the Level 1, 2 & 3 log book is AED50.
All equipment is provided.
Book Now by calling 04-446 6080 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2: Top Rope Climber
At Level 2, young climbers will learn:
- Connecting self and others to rope with a retied figure of eight knot and stopper knot
- Pre-climb checks
- Belaying and lowering using a suitable belay device
- Ground anchor systems
- Holding a fall in a bottom rope situation (belayer on ground with rope passing through top anchor)
- Effective communication and teamwork with climbing partner
- Knowledge of indoor climbing (French sport) and bouldering grades
- Selection of appropriate routes
- Effective safe use of a bouldering/ traversing wall (if applicable)
- Simple climbing technique – the use of feet and legs, relaxed upright stance, confident approach, smooth movement and observation of holds.